This post shows how I created map galleries for my Drupal web site like the galleries you get from the “Slashmaps for Mapbox” Drupal module.
I worked on this because my maps are already in ArcGIS Online. And because I’m a Drupal novice and found the new mapping module intimidating.
Here is a quick-ref list of all the Drupal map galleries that are described and compared below:
1. FCC.gov/maps built on the Slashmaps for Mapbox Drupal module.
2. My ArcGIS Online map galleries based on the tag:
a. Drupal Map Gallery – Demo 1: grid view
b. Drupal Map Gallery – Demo 2: list view
c. Drupal Map Gallery – Demo 3: carousel
d. Drupal Map Gallery – Demo 4: gallery hosted elsewhere and embedded here (gridview)
3. Marten Hogeweg’s Esri_MapGallery Drupal module prototype
Are my ArcGIS Online map galleries as good as the Slashmap for Mapbox module? You can look for yourself at the links above. I’ll do a capabilities comparison in a future post.
I’m in the process of migrating my Choptank River Heritage web site, which already includes a map gallery, to Drupal. So I was interested in the FCC announcement back in March about their new map gallery. And their collaboration with the Drupal community to build the Drupal module called Slashmaps for Mapbox.
I took a look at fcc.gov/maps:
Since my Choptank River Heritage maps are already published in ArcGIS Online, I looked for a Drupal module that connects to ArcGIS Online.
Is There a Drupal module for ArcGIS Online?
I googled and found Marten Hogeweg’s Drupal sandbox for ArcGIS Online. It was still rough. So I contacted Marten and asked if Esri will develop and support a Drupal module for ArcGIS Online. He said there’s interest. And we plan to meet up at the Esri UC to talk more about this. (Contact Marten or me if you want to join in.)
Meantime, Marten did some quick work over the weekend and committed a new Esri MapGallery module to Drupal git for me to try out. Here is the very rough result so far. Marten has already made improvements (such as removing the huge title banner) that I will incorporate in the next few days.
Do I really need a Drupal module for a map gallery? How about a simple tag ?
I also wondered if I couldn’t do a simpler Drupal integration using the tag. Same as we see already for embedding ArcGIS Online maps into web pages:
My four Map Galleries for Drupal
Here is the list of demo map galleries in my Drupal web site that leverage the tag to embed map group contents from ArcGIS Online. Each of my Drupal pages gives a short explanation of the configuration and subtle differences between them:
1. Drupal Map Gallery – Demo 1: grid view is simple, usable as-is with no changes to sizing.
2. Drupal Map Gallery – Demo 2: list view, size has to be tweeked to hide annoying side panel, and the gawdy title bar is not configurable.
3. Drupal Map Carousel – Demo 3: map carousel, requires sizing but otherwise easy, and pretty cool.
4. Drupal Map Carousel – Demo 4: of the Esri gallery template already published on my non-Drupal web site. Gives the most configuration control but requires some knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Let me know of your experience with the Mapbox module or these ArcGIS approaches.